About the MHFA Instructor Course
MHFA India offers standardized instructor training to equip you with the knowledge and skills to deliver the Standard Mental Health First Aid (SMHFA) Course for different groups. As an instructor, you can empower people around you to transform the way they understand and address mental health and illnesses. As a Mental Health First Aid Instructor, you will have the opportunity to make a positive impact by empowering individuals with the skills to provide initial support to those experiencing mental health challenges. Your role will involve facilitating discussions, delivering training sessions, and promoting mental health awareness and understanding within your community or organization.
Check the selection criteria
- Knowledge of mental health problems and their treatment
- Certified the MHFA standard course
- Personal or professional experience of supporting people with mental illness
- A positive attitude towards people with mental health problems
- Excellent training experience and communication skills
- Knowledge of the current mental health situation and services in India
- Good interpersonal skills
- A proven record of good conduct in the community and at the workplaces
- Enthusiasm to deliver MHFA courses
- A business plan for training provision
- Residence in India
Become familiar with the terms and conditions
Become familiar with the training program components and assess your time availability and commitment
Get information on the costs associated with the training and plan your budget
When approved, complete payment to assure the seat and participate
What will you learn during the instructor training?
- Training will equip you with the knowledge and skills to deliver MHFA training with confidence.
- Introduction to the 12-hour MHFA (the standard course) from the instructor perspective
- Learn how to deliver the MHFA program to suit diverse learning styles of people.
- Learn how to be consistent and deliver MHFA training rigorously.
- Opportunity to run mock sessions while being mentored by senior instructors
- Get feedback and guidance on the training skills and techniques that assure ethical and safe delivery.
- Test your knowledge of mental health and illnesses.
- Learn the core values of the MHFA program, its research, and its evaluations.
- Familiarize yourself with the MHFA Instructor Management System when creating and managing the training.
- Skills and collateral on ways to promote the MHFA training effectively
Assessment for Certification
- Post-training you have a minimum of 10 hours independent work. Read, learn, and navigate the Trainers Kit, MHFA Manual and all materials and processes.
- Shadow an accredited trainer during training delivery-minimum 1 full training
- Co-train with other trainers. The feedback of the learners is very important to assess whether it is needed to continue co-training, be mentored, or get certified.
- Address questions and doubts with your mentor, the instructor.
- Based on satisfactory achievement in all components of the training, you shall be certified as an accredited instructor.
- The preparation period can last until 6 months from the date of completion of the training.
The Training Approach
- MHFA instructor training is facilitated only by the MHFA India National Instructors.
- There are 40-hours of mandatory participation and a minimum of 10 hours of independent work for reading and preparation.
- Every training session accommodates only 16 participants at a time to assure effective learning.
- Learning will be conducted according to the type of course in which you have enrolled. Only in person( face-to-face ) or blended mode.
- Accreditation is not guaranteed for all participants in the course. For more information, read the FAQs.
- You must be present and active at all times, and you must complete all components of the training.
- On accreditation, you need to sign the MHFA India Instructor Agreement.
MHFA India Instructor Role
- As an accredited MHFA India instructor, you are a member of the MHFA India Instructor team.
- Set up your training calendar and open training at the MHFA India instructors' training management system.
- Purchase access to various MHFA learning tools and materials for your trainees.
- Deliver the 12-hour Standard MHFA course with the core framework and key messages.
- Reach out to other instructors for collaboration and co-training.
- Get updates from MHFA India on keeping up with MHFA Instructor skills and knowledge.
Maintaining the accreditation
- Sign the Instructor Agreement every year for the renewal of your membership.
- Pay the annual membership. The first payment is to be made 1 month before the completion of 12 months from the last day of training.
- Deliver successfully a minimum of three MHFA India trainings annually.
- Participate in a minimum of two evidence-based and scientific events to keep up with ongoing mental health updates.
- Respect and adhere to the signed agreement and its terms and conditions.
- Carry good conduct and keep the MHFA values high.
As an organized group you may want to scale MHFA training across your team. To get more information, reach us by filling the form.
Training members of your team as MHFA Instructors in the long term, would make economical sense.
Choose a Course
Instructor MHFA Blended Course for Higher Education
Duration: 50 Hours
Duration: 50 Hours
Instructor MHFA Blended Course for Workplace
Duration: 50 Hours
Instructor MHFA Blended Course for Public
Duration: 50 Hours
Instructor MHFA for Suicide Prevention and NSSI
Duration: 17 Hours
Instructor MHFA for Refresher Course
Duration: 6 Hours
Charley test 1
Duration: 6 Hours
Application and Evaluation Process
Take the first step to be an MHFA™ India Instructor
What Our Instructors Are Saying
Read the notes left from MHFA India Instructors on their experience.
MHFA Instructor, Senior HR
Cauvery Devika Dharmaraj
I became an MHFA instructor in 2019. There has been mental illness in the family, and in my efforts to understand it better, I realized that more people need to equip themselves with the awareness and basic skills required to identify signs of poor health so that they can seek help for themselves or their loved ones. My corporate professional avatar required me to train and facilitate change in organizations, so the basic foundation for facilitation has always been there. However, even after being an instructor for over 4 years now, it still nourishes me to empower others with the knowledge and basic skills required to be a first aider.
The structure of the Standard MHFA program is in line with global protocols, but the India team has spent time and rigorous effort to bring the Indian context and accurate data into the program content. Because I believe in the efficacy and credibility of the content and the program structure, I have no hesitation in endorsing the MHFA certification to anyone who wants to be a first aider.
The instructor program is well thought out and gave me the confidence to manage a workshop on my own, as it is well supported by senior colleagues at MHFA India.
During the pandemic, I really thought that at a time we needed it most, we would be unable to train first aiders, but the India team buckled down and produced the online e-learning program, which is quite powerful and permits us to roll out training to groups in different locations. There was a lot of internal support from the team in the facilitation of the online sessions.
I must mention that the facilitator guides developed by MHFA India for instructors, both for the in-person and online programs, are world-class and very user-friendly. I find them useful even now!
-Cauvery Devika Dharmaraj
Instructor, June 2019 batch
MHFA India Independent Instructor - Clinical Psychologist
I embarked on the journey to become an MHFA instructor two years ago. Being a practicing mental health professional for over 20 years, I expected the course to be a simple review of my already established knowledge. I was pleasantly surprised. While the content of the program is certainly something, I am well versed in the manner in which it is presented, how the information flows, using language and examples that are relevant and easily understandable by the general public, is brought forth very well in the program. The robustness of the materials, which are well-researched, relatable, and engaging activities that stimulate the participants to think beyond their preconceived notions is particularly powerful. As an instructor, I particularly value the structured and well-put-together materials, power points, and guides that make the process of delivery seamless. There is also great support from the MHFA team in learning management and operations. While the program is heavy in content, time, and engagement involved, there has not been one participant in the many trainings I have done who has not appreciated the experience and training and expressed increased empathy around mental health conditions. It has indeed been a hugely gratifying journey as an MHFA instructor.
MHFA India Independened Instructor- IT
A couple of years ago, when I was at the crossroads of my career transition, I looked at various possible options of whether to start my consultancy or to tie up with some organizations to deliver the much-needed mental health training programs, etc. At that point, I came across the Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) India organization, which I found to be offering the best of both worlds, having tied up with MHFA India and delivering trainings as well as pitching to the corporates and getting direct projects from them. This made me explore my journey with MHFA.
When I applied for the MHFA Instructor role, Ms. Erinda Shah (Founder and Managing Director of MHFA India) called me to explain the complete details before proceeding further. We had a good, long discussion, and she explained to me everything in detail, such as the process and various steps involved in becoming an accredited MHFA instructor, as well as the expectations and role clarity. She also assigned me a mentor when I was ready to start the journey.
Just to give you a glance at the rigorous qualifying process to become an instructor with MHFA, I had to first go through the complete MHFA training program offered by the experienced and qualified instructors. Then I had to present my learnings in a detailed 1-on-1 session with Ms. Erinda Shah. after that, I had to shadow other instructors to understand how the sessions were delivered to the participants. Only after completing all these steps was I assigned my first training program to be delivered. During my first session, Ms. Erinda Shah was present to support me (just in case I needed any help). The reason for this rigorous process is to ensure that MHFA has highly qualified instructors and that the training is consistently delivered by the instructors.
Though I have gone through a lot of in-person and online sessions, I must admit that the MHFA course stands out. MHFA organizations across the globe have a very consistent and high-quality standard of learning material and delivery methodology. They take immense care in preparing accurate materials by following the Delphi methodology, which is very rarely seen in other organizations. The MHFA organization also ensures that the learning material is easy to understand by people across the world, irrespective of their educational backgrounds. Though MHFA offers a common curriculum across the globe, learning material is customized considering the needs, requirements, and regulations specific to the individual countries.
I must tell you that with every training program I delivered, I could see the participants' happiness and satisfaction at learning a much-needed topic. Participants felt that they could help and support their colleagues, their families, and themselves whenever they saw people facing mental health issues. Participants felt that they had the practical tools and techniques for highly sensitive conversations to provide mental health first aid to needy people in their organizations and families. In every session, participants felt that this training program should be extended to all the employees in their organizations. I also benefited a lot from each training program by gaining deeper knowledge and insights due to the conversations and hands-on practice sessions in the training programs.
In addition to assigning the training programs, Ms. Erinda Shah also encourages instructors to talk directly to the customers and arrange for the training programs. The MHFA team provides end-to-end support whenever the instructors directly work on the assignments with corporates. They provide seamless support, starting from enrolling the participants untill the closure of the program.
Overall, for me, it is a highly satisfying journey to collaborate with different people across multiple corporations and create a positive impact on the organizations. I am highly thankful to MHFA India for providing me with this opportunity to work as an instructor as well as an entrepreneur, offering me the best of both worlds!
MHFA India Dependent Instructor - HR OSB India
Being a mental health first aid instructor has been an enriching experience. It is a pleasure to witness the positive impact of promoting understanding, empathy, and practical support around mental health. Each session leaves behind a set of empowered people committed to making the change. As awareness around mental health is still in its nascent stages in our country, there are a lot of misconceptions about it. The content provided by MHFA India educates people with the right vocabulary around mental health and helps in understanding clearly. The material is well structured, tested, and researched, which adds to my confidence to deliver and aid our first aiders with the right knowledge to support people in need.